WOMEN’S PRIZE FOR FICTION ANNOUNCES 2019 LONGLIST
The Man Booker International Prize
The 2018 longlist:
- Laurent Binet (France), Sam Taylor, The 7th Function of Language (Harvill Secker)
- Javier Cercas (Spain), Frank Wynne, The Impostor (MacLehose Press)
- Virginie Despentes (France), Frank Wynne, Vernon Subutex 1 (MacLehose Press)
- Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany), Susan Bernofsky, Go, Went, Gone (Portobello Books)
- Han Kang (South Korea), Deborah Smith, The White Book (Portobello Books)
- Ariana Harwicz (Argentina), Sarah Moses & Carolina Orloff, Die, My Love (Charco Press)
- László Krasznahorkai (Hungary), John Batki, Ottilie Mulzet & George Szirtes, The World Goes On (Tuskar Rock Press)
- Antonio Muñoz Molina (Spain), Camilo A. Ramirez, Like a Fading Shadow (Tuskar Rock Press)
- Christoph Ransmayr (Austria), Simon Pare, The Flying Mountain (Seagull Books)
- Ahmed Saadawi (Iraq), Jonathan Wright, Frankenstein in Baghdad (Oneworld)
- Olga Tokarczuk (Poland), Jennifer Croft, Flights (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Wu Ming-Yi (Taiwan, China), Darryl Sterk, The Stolen Bicycle (Text Publishing)
- Gabriela Ybarra (Spain), Natasha Wimmer, The Dinner Guest (Harvill Secker)
We are positive about the skills and talents of children and adults with dyslexia.
We are positive that with the right support, children and adults with dyslexia can reach their full potential.
We are positive that children and adults with dyslexia can be successful in education, work and life.
We are working to help turn the negatives into positives.
We are #positiveaboutdyslexia
Find out more about dyslexia and how you can help from our collections and from
The Long Drop - Denise Mina
William Watt wants answers about his family's murder. Peter Manuel has them. But Peter Manuel is a liar. William Watt is an ordinary businessman, a fool, a social climber. Peter Manuel is a famous liar, a rapist, a criminal. He claims he can get hold of the gun used to murder Watt's family.
One December night in 1957, Watt meets Manuel in a Glasgow bar to find out what he knows. Based on true events, The Long Drop is an extraordinarily unsettling, evocative and compelling novel from a writer at the height of her powers.
Join us in conversation at our GoodReads page discussing all things book related. We'll be reviewing & rating books, discussing our latest library reads and creating polls to find out what you think of our library offer.
The Mitchell Library has a fine collection of literary resources to support students, researchers or the just curious! We house Glasgow Libraries’ largest classic, cult and contemporary literary fiction section, which is available to borrow.
The 28th of September is Scotland's National Poetry Day and so we have poets popping -up in our Let's Talk area between 11 and 1.30 as well as a selection of poetry books on display at Leisure & Lifestyle.
SMS Text Alert Service
When you signup for text alerts, we’ll send you text notifications, letting you know when your requested books are available, alerts for items soon to be overdue and reminders about items which are currently overdue.
How do I sign up for this service? It’s easy!
Log on to your account at libcat.csglasgow.org and in my profile tick the “SMS notifications” options box. Be sure to check we have the most up to date mobile number for you.
In Your Local Library
Complete the form available at your local library and we will set up the service for you.